Ussher Fort, located on High Street in the James Town area of Accra near the Central Business District, was originally the Dutch Fort Creve Coeur before being transferred to the British in 1868 following earthquake damage.
The fort was partly rebuilt and renamed after the British administrator who facilitated the Dutch-English Exchange of Territories that year. It sits approximately 500 meters from Fort James.
Shattered by an earthquake, the Dutch Fort Creve Couer was transferred to the English in 1868. It was then partly reconstructed and named Ussher Fort, after the British administrator who had been instrumental in the Exchange of Territories between the Dutch and the English in that year. Located on the High Street, about 500m past Fort James , Ussher Fort is in the locality of James Town, by the Central Business District in Accra.